Contact us

The Derbyshire village of             Castleton in the Peak District

Disclaimer & Copyright

Welcome to Castleton Village Website

 

Castleton Methodist Church

Top of page

 

Methodist Church    Christmas 2014

History

The Methodist Chapel has been a landmark in the village since Victorian times. It was first opened on June 23rd 1898 (at the grand cost of £2,000) and was built by local man Albert Wheat, from a well remembered family of builders in the village. This was the ‘new church’ (previous Methodist Services had been held in a cottage near Peak Cavern) and people travelled far and wide to the official opening service; So much so that the train from Sheffield to Manchester made an unscheduled stop at Hope to drop off the high numbers of visitors.

Primitive Methodists also worshipped in the village (in what is now the Village Hall) however following national changes they joined the current Chapel in 1933 making it one united Methodist Church.

Interior

The light and airy chapel was famed for the wood panels and carvings, and its excellent acoustics: even so it had to wait until the 1920s for the organ to be installed. One of the glories of the chapel is the beautiful stained glass window depicting the Good Shepherd, put up in 1937. This was donated by Mr J.A.Stead, a Sheffield cutler, who was also known in the area as an inspiring preacher. To celebrate the 50th Anniversary a Blue John Cross and Font were commissioned out of our unique local stone, by Mr Walker, a stalwart of the Methodist circuit, whose family still live in the village today.

Current day

Alongside the Chapel is the Walker Room, which can be hired for meetings, complete with a fully equipped kitchen. This allows for many organisations and societies to use the premises, including the Youth Club.  Regular Lunches and Afternoon Teas, along with exhibitions and concerts are held throughout the summer, all adding to the thriving community spirit within the Chapel.

 

Services.

Current services are held at 10.45am every Sunday; please feel free to join us for coffee before the service.

Prayer Group meet every Thursday at 10.00am and Fellowship Group on 1st Wed of month.

Ecumenical Services are held in turn, in conjunction with St Edmund’s Church, to celebrate the major events in the Church calendar – Palm Sunday, Harvest Festival, Remembrance Sunday etc.

Minister Rev Richard Towle 01433 650305

Bookings for Peveril Centre & Walker Room Hire:

phone 01433 208 026 or email enquiries@peverilcentre.com

 

Peveril Centre website: www.peverilcentre.com